Friday 4 May 2012

Greetings from Warner Springs, CA

May 4/12

Mike, Tyler, Wannes and I strolled into Warner Springs today around noon.  Last night we broke the 100 mile mark and are all pretty stoked about it.  Coming into camp last night around 7:30 at Boulder Springs we were in for a pleasant surprise as we had our first experience with "trail magic."  A few older couples had set quite the reception for us. Two RV's, and a trailer, with a fire pit, chilli dogs, desserts, cold beer, and chairs! I had nearly forgotten what it felt like to sit in one.  This morning they also provided us with an awesome bagel breakfast, with fresh fruit and hot coffee.  Again we can't all help but be blown away by the generosity and kindness we've received from complete strangers.  Not to mention the  loads of information I got from a couple of the old men about the tremendous fishing that I'm going to be in for when we reach Kennedy Meadows, CA and the Sierra Nevadas.  I cannot wait.

The day before last we made our first try at hitch-hiking, and am pleased to report we had some great success. We made our way into and out of a little town called Julian, CA and altogether hitch-hiked for less than 30 seconds.  This town was something else.  I felt like I had walked into the old west.  The tiny little town has a main drag that seems as though its been unchanged since the town was founded.  Famous for apple pie, we couldn't leave town without trying a slice, and luckily there was one fine establishment owned by a fellow hiker that was offering free lunch, with pie and ice cream. Amazing!

Instead of continuing on and leaving nothing for Mike to write about I'm going to cut myself off here and hopefully I haven't used up all the relevant blogging info.  From now on I think we'll take turns posting in an attempt to lessen the overlap and still give you all a complete and concise account of our time.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the 100 mile mark boys! Good luck with the fishing in Kennedy Meadows!

    -McCr8

    ReplyDelete